Tuesday 6 October 2009

Stranger in a not so strange land

Okay. So this is my first blog. Something I've been meaning to do for a while now.

So I'm an American girl living the life of an immigrant. My journey started almost 11 years ago when I first met my British husband. On Christmas Eve 1998, we headed to the UK together to begin our life together and in March 1999 we were married in Nottingham where we were residing. I was so very homesick for my home America and all things American and found myself back in America a year after our wedding.

Fast-forward nine years and here I find myself, my husband and our two children living back in the UK. I am officially five months and a bit into this new journey and realizing that I am now once again an immigrant. Me? The immigrant???

What does it mean to be an immigrant? For me it means being a woman in her mid-30's reduced to not knowing how to do the simplest of tasks that I performed on a daily basis stateside without even thinking about the hows and whys. Driving, banking, speaking, even cooking ... take everything you know and throw it out the window because it's time to relearn everything when you're an immigrant. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's aggravating.

Here in my little corner of the internet you can follow my journey and perhaps be amused and entertained as I laugh, cry or even bang my head against the wall on this journey where I'm the one ... with the accent??? (but I don't have an accent!)

Cheers!
Amy x

No comments:

Post a Comment